Ijebu is a Yoruba kingdom in pre-colonial Nigeria. It formed around the fifteenth century. According to legend, its ruling dynasty was founded by Obanta of Ile-Ife.
1. Ijebus were the first people to have had contact with the Europeans in the 14th century.
2. Ijebus were the first to be educated through Western education.
3. Ijebu is the largest Ethnic group in Nigeria.
4. First people to manufacture gears of wars in the history of Nigeria.
5. First people to contend the slavery extortion in their region.
6. The first people to invent money made from cowry shells, later made Coins called "PANDORO", which became acceptable through Africa and Europe.
7. Ijebus were the first to settle in Lagos and Ibadan.
8. Ijebu is the only tribe in Nigeria that has its origin from the Biblical days.
9. According to the Biblical account; the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited and built Jerusalem prior to its conquest by King David.
10. Ijebu was the firs indigenous CLERK to the European Missionaries.
11. The European observers found them more intelligent than other groups in Nigeria.
12. When Oduduwa was blind, an Ijebu King (fifth Awujale) was the one to provide remedy to restore his sight.
13. Ijebus are known for sociality, integrity and Handwork.
14. Ijebus were the one to raise agitation for emancipation from Colonialism.
15. Ijebu King (Orimolusi) was the second Oba appointed by the Colonial Masters for the London conference in 1957 to negotiate the Nigerian Independence.
16. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the first individual in the modern era to be named Leader of the Yorubas (Asiwaju Omo Oodua)
17. The richest black woman in the world, Mrs Folorunsho Alakija, is an Ijebu woman from
Ikorodu Lagos (waterside Ijebu).
18. Ijebu man was the first Nigerian to play in the English premier league in early 60s.
18. Ijebus are famous with Egungun festival, Agemo festival, Ileya festival etc.
19. Mike Adenuga, an Ijebu man from Ijebu-Igbo, was the first
Nigerian to single handedly own Oil, Mining and Telecomunication (GLO).
20. Ijebu man, late Haruna Ishola, was the first musician to perform outside the shores of Nigeria.
21. Ijebu man,Chief S. O. Shonibare & Chief Shakirudeen Olarewaju Kazeem (Shokas) wee the first Nigerians to own a housing estate (called Shonibare estate in Lagos. And Shokas Estate/Bobagunwa Castle) of about 40 mansions in Ijebu-Igbo.
22. Ijebu man, late Chief Kuti (Abusi Odumare) from Ijebu-Igbo was the first Nigerian to be banned from building further houses in Lagos having owned about 100 storey buildings in Shomolu and Ebute Meta!
23. Also an Ijebu man, Chief Isamosta Ashiru from Ijebu-Igbo, was banned from building further houses in Ibadan having owned 99% of houses on Ososami street, Ibadan (left and right)!
24. Ijebu man, late Chief Abayomi Adeyemi also from Ijebu-Igbo, was the first Nigerian contractor to built about seven housing estates for Federal Govt. He has about 60 personal houses in Lagos alone!
25. Waoh, a man of Ijebu origin was enthroned as Olubadan of Ibadanland!
26. An Ijebu woman (a potter), Bilikisu Sugbo was traced to the Biblical Queen of Sheba as wife to King Pharaoh!
27. Ijebu has a major farm settlement that generated hundreds of millions of naira through palm oil processing (Apoje Farm settlement in Ijebu-Igbo) for the government.
28. Ijebu has produced so many musical icons like Haruna Ishola (Ijebu-Igbo), Y.K. Ajadi (Ijebu-Igbo), Popular Jingo (Ijebu-Igbo), Batuli Alake (Ijebu-Igbo), Wasiu Ayinde K1 (Ijebu-Ode), Adewale Ayuba (Ikenne), Musiliu Haruna Ishola (Ijebu-Igbo), Kolade Onanuga (Ijebu-Ode), Salawa Abeni (Ijebu-Ode), Wale Thomson (Ijebu-Igbo), etc.
29. The first black man to publish an indigenous bible with dictionary and concordance was an ijebu man (Rev. Dr. Bazil Kayode Balogun ) from ijebu igbo. .
30. The Doyen of Theatre, Late Chief Hubert Adedeji Ogunde, was an Ijebu man from Ososa
31. The first professor in Education in Nigeria was Professor Onabamiro from Ago - Iwoye.
32. Ijebu nation has more than 15 tertiary institutions which include OOU, TASUED, BABCOCK, HALLMARK, SOUTH-WEST, KINSTON (Universities), Grace, AAP, Gaposa, Oscotech, Pogil (Polytechnics), Tasce (Coll of Edu.), etc.
Do you know that Ijebu nation share one-third of entire Lagos state starting from Ikorodu to Ketu, Somolu, Palmgrove, Oshodi, Yaba, Epe, Ikeja, etc.
What a great Nation!
The Regional capital is Ijebu Ode.
The Commercial capital is Sagamu
The Spiritual capital is Ijebu Igbo.